On 2/17/2010 3:03 PM, Frog wrote:
> Thank you for responding to my message.  I do have a few places where I
> need a little more clarification.  See my comments-questions below.
>
> Mark Hansen wrote:
>> On 2/17/2010 4:41 AM, Frog wrote:
>>> I continue to use SeaMonkey version 1.1.8.  I have it working like an
>>> old shoe.  It is doing everything I want it to do, and I understand it
>>> fairly well.  I know that a day is coming when this version will become
>>> limited in accessing some web sites.  Thus, I am contemplating
>>> installing the latest version of SeaMonkey on my system.  I want to
>>> continue to use my old 1.1.8 version as my primary, while I make an
>>> effort to learn the latest version of SeaMonkey.  I understand that I
>>> can have both on my system simultaneously without one interfering with
>>> the other.  I believe I can set the new version up without transferring
>>> my address book, bookmarks, mail, etc. to the newer version.  Yes, I
>>> know that I will have to establish a new profile for the new version.
>>>
>>> Is there anything incorrect about what I have said to this point?
>>
>> When you migrate your 1.1.X profile into a 2.X profile, your 1.1.X
>> profile is not touched. The information is "copied" not "moved". So
>> when you test your 2.X installation, you can do so with all your
>> 1.1.X profile data like bookmarks, passwords, address book entries,
>> etc.
>
> I understand.  The same profile will be present/available in both versions.

No. Once you migrate the 1.1.X profile data into your 2.X profile,
you will have two completely separate profiles, your original 1.1.X
profile (unchanged by the migration) and the new 2.X profile (created
using the 1.1.X profile data as a starting point).

>> Just keep in mind that any changes made by SeaMonkey to outside
>> resources, like your e-mail server will affect both applications.
>> For example, if you download your e-mail from your mail server to
>> your local machine (not leaving the mail on the server), then the
>> first SM to get it wins.
>>
>> As a result, if you want to test SM 2.X with your actual e-mail server,
>> you probably want to configure it to leave messages on the server, so
>> your live SM 1.1.X version will still be able to get the e-mail
>> messages.
>
> I understand.  I remember a setting that allowed mail to be downloaded
> without removing it from the server--I will have to locate that setting
> again.
>>
>>> Someday, I hope to feel comfortable enough with the new version that I
>>> will want to make it my primary.  This is where I am not sure of the
>>> steps I will be required to take at that time.  In my mind, I think I
>>> will remove (via add/remove) the new version from my system along with
>>> its associated profile.  I will then add the new version back to my
>>> system and let it move my profile, address book, bookmarks, messages,
>>> etc from the 1.1.8 version to the new version.
>>>
>>> How am I doing with my thinking?  Is there a better or easier way of
>>> accomplishing this task?
>>
>> It won't "move" your 1.1.X profile data, it will "copy" (migrate) it.
>
> I am not sure I understand this action.  I know that all of my messages
> will be present on my old SeaMonkey application on decision day (the day
> I decide to move to the new version of SeaMonkey), but only some of the
> total messages will be present on my new version of SeaMonkey.  What are
> the steps I will be required to take in order to make all of the
> messages on the old version appear on the new version at that time?  I
> know that my profile is located at C:\Documents and
> Settings\frog\application Data\Mozilla\Profiles.  I also know that my
> mail messages are also included under this Profile.

If you have all your messages in the 1.1.X profile, what's the harm in
deleting the 2.X profile and re-migrating the 1.1.X profile to 2.X?

Just realize that any work you do in the 2.X profile before you perform
the final migration is going to be thrown away (this is why you tell
the 2.X version of SeaMonkey to leave messages on the server - so your
1.1.X version will be the one to download and delete them from the server).

>>> I suppose I could leave both old and new versions of this software on my
>>> system permanently.  I would then simply start downloading my messages
>>> to the new version and in time it would by default become my primary
>>> version.  In time, I could then remove the old version and its
>>> associated profile.
>>
>> That is certainly an option. Just keep in mind that if one version
>> downloads messages and removes them from the server, the other version
>> won't see the messages.
>
> Understand.  I will have to cause the old version to leave the messages
> on the server and cause the new version to remove the messages when the
> switch is made.

I would assume that you would have a trial period where you are using
both - to test SM 2.X. During this time, SM 2.X will not delete any
messages from the server - this is so your 1.1.X version will still
pick them up.

After you make your final switch to SM 2.X, don't use SM 1.1.X any more.
(or, if you want to continue to use it, just tell *it* to no longer
delete messages from the server - but why continue to use it if you've
decided to move forward with 2.X?)

>>> What happens when two profiles are active on the same computer?
>>
>> SeaMonkey will make sure no other instances are running, to make
>> sure you don't hurt yourself. However, you can run SM 2.X while
>> an instance of SM 1.1.X is running, by passing a special command-line
>> parameter - which I'm drawing a blank on at the moment. Perhaps
>> someone else will chime-in and provide it. It's something like --no-remote
>> (I think).
>
> I'm not sure I will want to take this action--not sure enough of my
> technical skills to take this action at this time.

As an option, you can always shutdown SM 1.1.X anytime you want to
test SM 2.X. Watch out for the quick launch option in 1.1.X - if
you have it enabled, it will keep an instance of 1.1.X running even
when you close all SM application windows. This will prevent 2.X
from launching (without the -no-remote option that is).

>>> Will it ask each time SeaMonkey is opened for the profile to use?
>>
>> SM 1.1.X won't see the SM 2.X profiles. SM 2.X won't see the SM 1.1.X
>> profiles. So, having one profile for each version won't result is
>> either version asking which profile to use.
>
> I will likely employ the same profile information on both versions.

No. You will not be able to use the same profile. SM 2.X will create
a new profile based on your 1.1.X profile. Your 1.1.X profile will
be left untouched by this "migration" of profile information. You
really don't want to try to make both 1.1.X and 2.X use the same
profile.

>>> I am guessing that each version will have its own ICON on my desktop and
>>> it will open the correct profile for that ICON--is that correct?
>>
>> You can set it up that way, but it won't be set up that way by default.
>> When you install SM 2.x, it assume you want to replace all the existing
>> SM 1.1.X start menu/shortcuts. However, nothing prevents you from setting
>> up any start menus/shortcuts you want. Just remember that you can't run
>> both at the same time unless you deal with the special command-line
>> parameter (mentioned above).
>
> I understand.
>>
>>> If I move from the old to new version, leaving both on my system, is
>>> there a way to copy the bookmarks, address book, messages, etc. to the
>>> new version?  If so, how is this accomplished?  What specific files get
>>> copied in the old version and where are they placed in the new version?
>>
>> Answered above.
>>
>> Best Regards,
>
> Thanks very much for your help.  I would be lost, if it were not for
> individuals like yourself helping me with my problems.

My pleasure and good luck. Actually, I'm in the same boat. I'm still
running 1.1.X and am wondering when I will take the plunge to 2.X
Soon, I expect.