On 4/30/10 10:34 AM, Dick Hoffman wrote:
> Mark Hansen wrote:
>> On 4/29/2010 3:18 PM, Dick Hoffman wrote:
>>> Maybe I spoke too soon. I installed the User Agent Switcher, switched to
>>> IE7 and tried to load the video. I got a different appearing page but
>>> the video still did not play. Also tried IE8 setting with same result.
>>> Deinstalled the Switcher.
>>> Dick
>>>

>> Actually, you're running a Gecko-based browser, so you want to
>> spoof Firefox. If the site is sending IE-specific code when it
>> thinks you're running IE (because you spoofed it that way), then
>> you'll get code your browser can't run.
>>
>> Just so you understand, the spoofer doesn't make your browser
>> *act* like the browser you're spoofing. It just makes your
>> browser *say* it's the browser you're spoofing.
>>
>> You'll want User Agent Switcher. If I were you, I would install
>> it and learn to use it.
>>
>> By the way, it doesn't come with any Firefox user agent settings.
>> You'll need to get your own and add them to it. You can search
>> (using Google or similar) for "User Agent Strings" to find lots
>> of them available.
>>
> OK, I tried User Agent Switcher but there's no Firefox setting in it as
> installed and I don't understand how to update it to add just Firefox. I
> then tried Prefbar and got essentially the same result; no Firefox
> setting and no clear way to update it. There's probably some forum to go
> to for help with extensions, right?
> Dick

For PrefBar:

1.  Right-click anywhere on the PrefBar toolbar and select Customize
PrefBar from the pull-down menu.

2.  On the Preferences Toolbar pane of the resulting Preferences window,
locate User Agent under either Available Items or Enabled Items.

3.  If User Agent is under Available Items, select it and drag it to
Enabled Items.  Then drag it up or down to where you want it in the
toolbar.

4.  Right-click on User Agent and select Edit from the pull-down menu.

5.  On the Edit Item window, select the + button in the lower-left corner.

6.  In the resulting blank entry in the Edit Item window, type
        Firefox 3.6 WinXP
under Label.

7.  In the same entry in the Edit Item window, type
        Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.3)
        Gecko/20100401 Firefox/3.6.3
all in a single line under Value.  There is one space between
rv:1.9.2.3) and Gecko/20100401.

8.  Select the OK buttons on the Edit Item and Preferences windows.

To use:

*       If the User Agent item on the PrefBar toolbar is visible within your
browser window, select its down-triangle and then select the user agent
you wish to spoof.

*       If the toolbar is full and the User Agent item is off to the right,
select the double >> at the far right on the toolbar.  Select User Agent
from the pull-down menu and then select your desired user agent from the
pull-down submenu.

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>