David E. Ross wrote:
On 8/28/10 7:43 PM, Phillip Jones wrote:
Manuel Reimer wrote:
Robert Kaiser wrote:
Actually, as much as I hate appending "Firefox" to any UA string of
browsers that are not Firefox, I just filed a bug to make any Gecko that
not has "Firefox" in its UA string right now to send one in the future.

I don't think this is a good idea. Webmasters should learn to match for
"Gecko".

Yours

Manue
   While that is noble thought. The reality is, most webmasters for most
commercial Sites don't give a rats behind. The will sniff on FireFox not
gecko. In fact I would be shocked and surprised in most even know
anything about w3c or what gecko is.

It's more than a noble thought.  The tracking bug for bad sniffing --
bug #334967 -- depends on 208 specific bug reports about individual
cases of bad sniffing.  37 of of those specific bug reports have been
closed, indicating that Web masters do indeed learn that "Gecko is Gecko".

18 of the specific bug reports were either duplicates, invalid, or
"Works for Me".  That means there are 190 valid specific bug reports,
19% of which were fixed.  If even a slight effort were made to
communicate proper sniffing -- and the possibility that sniffing is not
needed at all -- many more of the valid bug reports would also be fixed.

I'm not convinced that the changes in presenting the UA string (based on
bug #572650?) will really solve the problems of invalid sniffing.  If
"Firefox" is always appended to the UA string, it is more likely that
Web masters will conclude SeaMonkey is no longer in use.

I had a battle with my Bank's Website Suntrust for two years. trying to get them first to even acknowledge Mozilla products newer than Mozilla. Finally they did switch to add support for Firefox. however to this day there sniffing code is /FireFox, not /gecko

Until I switched over to SM 2, I had to add /not FireFox/2.0 then eventuality version number I updated to latest version I was using. I think I reported several times about Suntrust. I don't know if I reported to right place or not since I I used the report a broken website feature which we all discovered that no one at mozilla had even been looking at the reports from the time the feature was put in. Lack of interest reading the reports.

--
Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T.        "If it's Fixed, Don't Break it"
http://www.phillipmjones.net/       mailto:pjon...@kimbanet.com