Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
Marisa Ciceran wrote:

Correction, I had to go back and again untick the scanning of outgoing
email by Avast.

There is no need to set your a-v program to scan outgoing email.
Incoming, either. If the program is running resident, it would find any
viruses attached to the email if you tried to open or save them.

<http://thundercloud.net/infoave/tutorials/email-scanning/index.htm>

Further, if on the very rare chance it would find one, it could destroy
the mail folder that contained it.

(I haven't seen an actual virus in many years; spyware and rootkits are
all the rage these days, as they are profitable and viruses are not.)

Thanks for this warning and good advice. You've reminded me of the "good ol' times" when, indeed, entire folders would become inaccessible.

I have unticked the outgoing email scans.

Marisa