Marisa Ciceran wrote:
I booted up my Toshiba L500 laptop this morning to SeaMonkey which
promptly updated itself to version 2.0.12. I can no longer send out mails.

The error message I get every time is that the ISP mail server (Verizon)
has timed out, so I called my ISP, Verizon. I spent nearly an hour on
the telephone with technical support who went through all the obvious
configurations and found nothing obviously wrong. Not to leave me
stranded, they had me open and configure an older version of MS Outlook
that is on my system that I have never used just to find out if the
problem would be repeated there, but instead we proved that the
malfunction was not at the ISP server end, but due to some malfunction
in the updated SeaMonkey.

I have already uninstalled and reinstalled SeaMonkey 2.0.12 several
times to no avail. Meanwhile, my desktop PC - mwhich updated SeaMonkey a
day or two ago - has experience no such problem and appears to otherwise
be functioning normally.

Has anyone else experience an outgoing mail problem like this? I have
never had such a problem before, and have no idea how to fix it. Any clues?

Thanks.

Marisa
Yes, I have had such a problem when upgrading a version of SM.
It sounds like the SMTP server settings did not transfer during the upgrade.

Place your laptop next to your PC screen so you can compare settings.

On both the P{C and Laptop open SM mail and click on Edit/Mail and newsgroups settings. This will open a column on the left showing all your mail accounts and their respective group preferences.

Single click on one of your account names and near the bottom of the dialog box you should see "Outgoing Server (SMTP)". This should be set to "Use Default Server"

This is where you compare the settings between the laptop and PC.

Look all the way to the bottom of the Account Settings window and you should see "Outgoing Server (SMTP), click once on this to open the SMTP settings.

On your laptop and PC you may have several account settings, the one in your PC has the correct settings, so make the same settings on the laptop and make sure you set this as the "Default" for outgoing mail.

Do not make any changes or modifications to the PC, when you close it down use "Cancel" On the laptop click "OK" and restart SM to test your outgoing mail.

If you have more than one mail account you can send yourself a test message to test the sending and receiving part, however you may not be able to send the message on the same account as your ISP may block those message as SPAM.

Michael