Philip Chee wrote:
On Sun, 06 Mar 2011 16:41:46 -0500, Marisa Ciceran wrote:
I booted up my Toshiba L500 laptop this morning to SeaMonkey which
promptly updated itself to version 2.0.12. I can no longer send out mails.

The error message I get every time is that the ISP mail server (Verizon)
has timed out, so I called my ISP, Verizon. I spent nearly an hour on
the telephone with technical support who went through all the obvious
configurations and found nothing obviously wrong. Not to leave me
stranded, they had me open and configure an older version of MS Outlook
that is on my system that I have never used just to find out if the
problem would be repeated there, but instead we proved that the
malfunction was not at the ISP server end, but due to some malfunction
in the updated SeaMonkey.

I have already uninstalled and reinstalled SeaMonkey 2.0.12 several
times to no avail. Meanwhile, my desktop PC - mwhich updated SeaMonkey a
day or two ago - has experience no such problem and appears to otherwise
be functioning normally.

Has anyone else experience an outgoing mail problem like this? I have
never had such a problem before, and have no idea how to fix it. Any clues?

Normally this is a firewall problem. You need to tell your firewall that
this new version of SeaMonkey is allowed to send mail out.

Phil

Following through on all the responses so far, all the suggestions so far were already done to no avail and the configurations on both the laptop and desktop were/are the same for SeaMonkey. Here are some specifics:

1. Firewall settings - ZoneAlarm firewall recognizes the SeaMonkey.exe file, the uninstaller and updater files. No difference in the outgoing mails.

2. Outgoing ISP server - the settings default to port 25, but we checked out port with both with the default port setting 25 and 587. The server does not require authentication. We also checked all the server settings for every account that was set up.

3. I have sent out various test messages to myself on all three of the accounts that are in the laptop profile, and tried to send them both when the messages were open as well as after they were placed in the Outbox. I also closed the program and it defaulted (which I do not like) to asking me the next time it opens whether I want to send out the outgoing mail. I also created a separate "test" profile with a single account. None of these worked.

All the above actions were taken repeatedly before I even called Verizon, but were repeated by the tech support guy who worked with me during a screen sharing session.

None of the above tests resolved the problem, as neither did my uninstalling the new SeaMonkey and reinstalling it. I still receive incoming mails normally, but am blocked from outgoing mails.

Meanwhile, the MS Outlook mails there were newly set up by the Verizon support technician (they do not support Mozilla products this way) were tested out - outgoing and incoming both work normally. This suggests that the Verizon server is not responsible for the "time out" error on outgoing mails via SeaMonkey.

I have been using the Netscape, then Mozilla suite since the mid-1990s, and have never come across this type of problem before. I am completely baffled as to how to fix it.

Any other suggestions?

Thank you all.

Marisa