I've used the "Mozilla suite" from the Netscape days on OS/2. Right up to the end of the Seamonkey 1.x series, it always did what I needed, and I am truly grateful for all the effort that's been put into Mozilla, and Seamonkey in particular. I've tried Firefox, and used it extensively at work, but for my own personal use, Seamonkey was just more usable.

Then came Seamonkey 2.0, with its badly broken form and password filling and management. With some add-ons, a reasonable degree of functionality was restored, but not all. This has led me to using LastPass, which has had a side-effect - I'm no longer tied to a particular browser.

Plugins have always been somewhat problematic with Seamonkey, because as we are all only too well aware, many developers won't test Firefox plugins with Seamonkey, even if they'd most likely just work. However, the important ones (for me) worked most of the time.

Then comes Seamonkey 2.1, with yet more user interface changes and some loss of function, and the Firefox inspired rapid release cycle. Although the Firefox team don't seem to see this as a problem, many users do, and we've been treated to the sad sight of developers who would far rather argue than listen. One or two have shown a stunning degree of arrogance which I have found quite off-putting.

Just because Chrome can manage a rapid update cycle, with new versions, doesn't mean the Mozilla programs can do it the same way. The way plugins and extension work with Chrome releases is different to the way Mozilla ones work. Unlike Mozilla plugins which need to specify which versions and releases they work with, Chome ones merely need to check for a minimum level of Chrome: if it works today, it will probably work four versions from now. Not so in Mozilla's world.

So, I've switched to Chrome. I don't particularly like it, but I'm liking Seamonkey less and less anyway. Chrome doesn't have all the plugins I want, but it has most of them, and despite worries about Google tracking every moment of your life, they do actually provide ways to stop them doing a lot of it, and there's plugins to do some of the rest. (There's also the small matter of not running into so many sites which say I'm not using a supported browser - businesses have quite rapidly adopted Chrome as a supported browser for customers, and the one I work for supports it for internal use too.)

Once again, I thank the Mozilla and Seamonkey teams for all their efforts: the web and all its browsers are much better for their efforts; even IE has improved by leaps and bounds because of Firefox. I won't be along for the ride, but I will keep an eye open, and may be back one day.

Graham.