hawker wrote:
That said 2.2 has had the most regression bugs,
lost features and new bugs of any version I have seen since before 1.0.
I hope this new "rapid" release is not causing SM quality to suffer and
this is just a bad build that we will get past. What is the feeling of
the development team on this build or is this just the build where the
issues have finally gotten to areas that affect me?

Yes, SM 2.2 contained more issues than usual. We tried to fix some issues 2.1 had but others popped up, especially in MailNews and the address book (some things were not fixed entirely, and changes Thunderbird developers made to shared MailNews code were not fixed on our end fast enough).

2.2 was the first release after we switched to the rapid release process, and in this case we had even fewer time than the usual 6-18 weeks that the process dictates because 2.1 had already been delayed.

Also there are some problems that appear due to the all-volunteer nature of the project. There are only very few developers in the first place, reviews (which are mandatory for any code change) take quite long. In former times (before 2.2) we had many months time to fix things and release "when it's ready". Now we're pretty much date-driven. This requires paying more attention to regressions by everyone involved. There is a lesson to be learned there, and I think 2.3 will be better overall [even though I personally would have voted to respin 2.3b1 so that we don't release a beta with major issues that are already known to be fixed for 2.3].

Personally I'm not a huge fan of the rapid, date-driven release process either but we have little choice: Security fixes (which usually affect Gecko or other code shared with Firefox) are only fixed on the latest stable Mozilla platform version so we cannot skip one without exposing our users to security risks. This is (very) unfortunate but nothing we can influence, so there is no point in complaining about it. We have to make the best out of it.

Greetings,

Jens

--
Jens Hatlak <http://jens.hatlak.de/>