On 10/1/11 11:25 PM, Ant wrote:
> On 10/1/2011 11:11 PM PT, David E. Ross typed:
>
>>> Is anyone else getting a XML error with SM2.0.14's web browser's real
>>> user agent on http://www.allstate.com/ ? It says:
>>>
>>> "XML Parsing Error: not well-formed
>>
>>      [snipped]
>>
>>> I had to fake with Firefox v3.6.8 to get rid of the error. I don't know
>>> if v2.1+ has this problem too since I have not upgraded yet. :P
>>
>> Yes, it happens with SeaMonkey 2.4.
>>
>> This is a common problem when the Web server is sniffing for the user
>> agent (UA) string and the sniffing software fails to handle the case of
>> an unrecognized UA string, that is a browser for which the software does
>> not provide.
>
> I thought SeaMonkey v2.1+ uses Firefox user agent by default.

I unchecked the checkbox for that and disabled the feature.  Thus, my UA
string is
   Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:7.0) Gecko/20110923 SeaMonkey/2.4

The problem does not happen if I check the checkbox and enable the
feature.  Then, my UA string is
   Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:7.0) Gecko/20110923 Firefox/7.0
       SeaMonkey/2.4

I am aging like a cheese and not like a wine.  That is, I am getting
sharper (not mentally in my attitude) and not mellower.  Thus, I want to
find cases of invalid sniffing and complain to Web site owners about it.

--

David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>.

bureaucracy has obviously never worked for a large corporation.
© 1997 by David E. Ross