Chris Ilias wrote:
On 12-07-23 3:07 PM, Rufus wrote:
Chris Ilias wrote:
On 12-07-23 7:52 AM, Daniel wrote:
Rufus, I hope you remember that emptying trash *doesn't* actually
delete
the e-mails from your "inbox",

That part is right. :)

it just marks them for deletion and
removes them from your sight.

That part is not right. Emptying the trash will delete messages from
your trash folder, not the inbox, then it will compact the trash folder,
not the inbox.

....so...you're telling me that moving things out of my Inbox does not
actually move them out of my Inbox?

I have no idea what people are trying to say about this.  Why would I
Empty Trash if I haven't placed something in there in the first place?
And why wouldn't moving something there actually *put* it *there* for
action?

If you select a message in your inbox, and click delete, the message
will be copied over to your trash folder. The version in your inbox will
then be marked as deleted and hidden from view.

This where I loose it..."copied"? Why isn't the message *moved* to the Trash vise just being "removed from display"? That doesn't make any logical sense to me - true or not...

Compacting a folder will command SeaMonkey to remove all messages from
that folder that are marked as deleted.

That makes sense - as long as it also globally removes all messages marked as "deleted" and still not displayed. I don't see how it would though, as it seems it will only compact the single specified Folder.

Empty Trash will not only hide all messages in the Trash folder from
view, but also remove them.

Which is what one would expect.

* Although it may not technically go through those steps. It seems
easier/faster to just remove all messages in the trash, regardless if
they are marked as deleted or not. It's the same result.

In light of the above, I can't see why I don't see "Compact All Folders" requests when I have my invoke set at >20 Meg. I should think I'd see a lot of them - I don't seem to see any at all.

I think I'm going to set my threshold lower - like >5 Meg - if this is what is really going on.

--
     - Rufus