David E. Ross wrote:
On 12/30/12 10:56 AM, Michael Gordon wrote:
David E. Ross wrote:
On 12/30/12 2:58 AM, Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
David E. Ross wrote:

On 12/28/12 9:28 PM, Paul B. Gallagher wrote:

OK, here's something that does work, though I'm not sure of any
unintended consequences:

In about:config, find the pref print printer, right-click it, and
choose "reset." It becomes blank. Close about:config.

Henceforth, whenever you execute a print command, the default
printer is selected. You can select another printer, but the next
time you execute a print command, the default is selected again.
Just what the OP wanted.

Any reason not to do this?

I'd also like to know how to restore the default behavior.

Going to about:config, I reset print printer.  I then went to a Web
page, selected print, and selected a non-default printer (printing to
a PDF file).  I then went to print a different Web page, but the
previously selected non-default printer was still selected.  Thus,
what you suggested does not work.  What I wrote previously regarding
about:config is true.

I disabled the setting of print printer in my user.js file,
terminated SeaMonkey, and then relaunched SeaMonkey.  The previously
selected non-default printer was still selected.

I re-enabled the setting of print printer in my user.js file,
terminated SeaMonkey, and then relaunched SeaMonkey.  My Windows
default printer was selected.  This proves my method works.

OK, I don't have a user.js, so your experience may be different from
mine for that reason. At the moment, my print printer setting is "user
set" to a printer that happens to be my system default ("HP LaserJet
2200 Series PCL 6").

I "printed" your message to the Adobe PDF driver, selecting it manually
from the print dialog. The next time I hit CTRL-P, SM still presented
the LaserJet as the selection, it forgot that the last printer used was
the Adobe PDF driver.

When I manually changed the value of print_printer in about:config to
"Adobe PDF," that selection stuck, and SM kept presenting that as the
default printer even though I selected other printers in the print
dialog for intervening jobs.

When I manually changed the value of print_printer back to "HP LaserJet
2200 Series PCL 6," it kept presenting that as the default printer even
though I selected other printers in the print dialog for intervening jobs.

So I'd like to know how to revert to the default behavior where SM
remembers the last printer used instead of always presenting the stuck
value.

I tried to duplicate your experience and could not.  If I disable
user.js by renaming it to x-user.js, the preference variable
print_printer remains with the value of the last printer I selected.
This happens even if I terminate and then re-launch SeaMonkey.

Check about:config to see if you have print.save_print_settings set to
False.  If it is, double click on the entry to reset it to True.  This
might cause what you are experiencing.

David,

I think the OP stated he could not find a user.js file, that would be
because in the Mozilla profiles a user.js file must be created by the
user.  Once it is created Mozilla will use its content to copy into the
prefs.js file.  It is much safer to modify the preferences with the
user.js file than to directly edit prefs.js.

Michael G

I agree.  Not only did John (the original poster in this thread) not
have user.js, but also Gallagher (to whom I was replying) did not.

I tried to recreate their experience by disabling my own user.js by
renaming it x-user.js.  I still could not see their problem.

David,

Way back in the days of Netscape Communicator we used the user.js file to make many useful modifications to our profile start-up. There were very useful tips on some of the more popular entries for the user file, is there still such a file available for the recent versions of SeaMonkey? This might help some of the readers configure their own user.js file so it will work the first time, then they could add their own modifications.

Michael G
--
Armadillo Web Development
www.armadilloweb.com