On 12/29/12 4:07 AM, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
> Rob wrote:
>
>> Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

>>> How does your company use SeaMonkey? Are your employees using something
>>> that is run from a server? Otherwise, I can't see how they could get
>>> their own mail when logged into someone else's workstation. At my
>>> company, the only way to get one's own mail was from the individual's
>>> own computer.
>>
>> Of course we use an IMAP server for mail, and roaming profiles. When you
>> log in to someone else's computer, the roaming profile is loaded from
>> the server and with it come all your Seamonkey settings.
>> (including your IMAP account settings)
>>
>> When you open Seamonkey you connect to the IMAP server and there is all
>> your mail.  This also has the advantage that your mail is not lost when
>> your workstation crashes, and the server of course has backups.
>
> Okay, thanks for the explanation, though I still wonder how a person logs
> into someone else's PC, as there would be no user name/password existing
> for "roaming" people. Is there only one instance of SeaMonkey installed on
> all the workstations?

Some years ago, I would walk into a room of workstations, sit down at
any that was not already in use, and login.  I would get my own
configuration that, yesterday, I got at a different workstation.

This was in a highly secure environment for developing and testing
classified software for the military.  We had to change our passwords
monthly.  The login server kept a record of our passwords so that we
could not reuse a password for 24 months.  The system was sufficiently
secure that it was not connected in any way to the Internet.  Cell
phones, laptops, etc were prohibited from the facility.  Floppy drives
were all removed or at least physically disabled.  (Memory sticks were
not yet known.)

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

Are taxes too high in the U.S.?  Check the bar graph
at <http://www.rossde.com/taxes/trickling.html> to see.