On 12/28/12 11:59 AM, John wrote:
> Wife's comp (Win7 64 bit) won't remember the default printer in
> SeaMonkey. She stubbornly refuses to go with Thunderbird/Firefox,
> believe me I have tried! I see from Google this is a long standing bug
> but haven't found anything recent. So has the the default printer
> problem been addressed/fixed in SeaMonkey version 2.14.1 and I am just
> not finding it? If it has been fixed or there is a work around I would
> be interested in hearing it.
>
> Thanks,
> John

This is NOT a problem.  It appears to be intentional design.

There is a way to make SeaMonkey choose Windows' default printer every
time SeaMonkey is launched after having been terminated.  Locate the
profile directory.  In that directory, use an ASCII editor (e.g.,
WordPad, Notepad) to edit or create the file user.js.  Insert the
following three lines:
        user_pref("print_printer", "");
        // default back to Windows default printer if another
        // printer was selected (e.g., Acrobat Distiller)
Be sure to include the semi-colon (;) at the end of the first line.  The
second and third lines are actually comments merely intended to remind
you why you did this.

This will NOT work if you set print_printer to a blank value in
about:config or prefs.js; you should not even attempt to edit the
latter.  The reason this will not work with about:config is that, every
time you select an alternative printer, prefs.js gets changed to point
to that alternative; about:config is merely a display of prefs.js.

Since user.js overrides prefs.js only when SeaMonkey is launched, any
selection of an alternative printer will remain in effect until
SeaMonkey is terminated.

--

David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

bureaucracy has obviously never worked for a large corporation.
© 1997 by David E. Ross