Gary Montalbine wrote:

On 03/16/2013 01:17 PM, Ed Mullen wrote:
Gary Montalbine wrote:

On 03/13/2013 02:00 AM, Arne wrote:
Gary Montalbine skriver:

I use Seamonkey as my html composer. I have a simple website. The
windows-1252 charset surprised me. Is there another easy editor you
might recommend?

Gary

BlueGriffon (http://bluegriffon.org/) has been recommended here
previously.

I am using Mageia2 and BlueGriffon is not offered. Bluefish is offered.
However it seems way to complicated for a simple user. Seamonkey is easy
for me to code. I have nothing fancy on my site. The only problem I have
is being forced to use windows-1252 charset. When I start a new html the
default is ISO-8859-1 but it is saved as windows-1252. I shall continue
to use it and see if there are problems with the website.
Thanks for everybodies help. Gary

Okay, I poked around a while and found how to change it.

In location bar enter "about:config" without the quotes and hit Enter.

In the search box enter "charset" w/o quotes.

Find the pref "intl.charset.default", double click it, change the
encoding to whatever you want.

This is what I changed it to:
intl.charsetmenu.composer.cache;ISO-8859-1. Does this automatically get
saved when I close it?

Yes.

I tried the composer again and saved the html as the ISO. When I open it
again it is the windows-1252. I used a split screen and watched the
about.config change from the ISO to windows as I opened the html.

That is truly odd.

I go back to about:config and I have this:
intl.charsetmenu.composer.cache;windows-1252

It's stubborn. I changed about:config in 2 other places to show the ISO
and they were saved.

  Appreciate your help. Gary

Do you have a user.js file in your profile?

Does this happen in Safe Mode?

Create a new profile.  Does it still happen after you change about:config?

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net/