PhillipJones wrote:
Geoff Welsh wrote:
Rufus wrote:
Geoff Welsh wrote:
Trane Francks wrote:
It is with great disappointment that I see the demise of Growl support
in SeaMonkey 2.19. In looking for the reasoning behind this, the
answer
was apparently that "Notification Centre is the way forward". This
would
be grand except for the fact that OS X Snow Leopard and Lion both do
not
*have* Notification Centre.

The current fallback to XUL notifications is marginally useful, but
only
when I'm working on the same virtual desktop on which SeaMonkey
resides.
When I'm working on a different desktop and mail comes in, the XUL
notification is not visible and I'm left to go look through
half-a-dozen
inboxes to try and decipher which account got the new mail.

So, uh, who exactly thought this was moving forward? For those of us
who
are not using Mountain Lion or Mavericks, this presents a fairly
massive
step backwards in functionality. My early-2008 MacBook4,1 only goes as
far as Lion due to its 32-bit EFI. Unless I roll back to SeaMonkey
2.17.1 and freeze my updates there -- not the most intelligent plan
from
a security perspective -- I'm stuck with a SeaMonkey that now feels
more
alien to the OS than it has in years.

Not happy.

trane

and here I was using SM 2.19 on Snow Leopard thinking nothing was wrong
with it. Of course, I have no idea what Growl or Notification Centre
are, so maybe ignorance is bliss.

GW

I tried using Growl for a bit and found it to be just flat annoying. So
I killed and removed it.

I feel the same way about Notification Center - it's just something I
don't need or care about...so on the machine where I do have it, I have
it turned off.

Oh, they're Add-Ons. I didn't even know /that/.

GW
Growl Is not an addon to a Web Browser. GROWL is a Application Utility

Best description is here: http://growl.info/
(snip)

Ahhh. I see: "The Ultimate Notification System for OS X. Growl is the easiest way to know what's going on with your applications."

But since SM already makes an alert noise, when it gets mail, I can't imagine what I would need it for. The intended user undoubtedly does all sorts of things I've never heard of with their Mac.

Thanks for the info though!

GW