On 8/1/13 2:18 PM +0900, Geoff Welsh wrote:

But since SM already makes an alert noise, when it gets mail, I can't
imagine what I would need it for.  The intended user undoubtedly does
all sorts of things I've never heard of with their Mac.

I run Spaces with 6 desktops defined. When e-mail comes in and I'm working on a desktop where SeaMonkey _isn't_ visible, it's useful to know which of my 8 mail accounts received mail. Depending on what I'm doing, I might be able to ignore it (personal mail) or I might have to drop everything and reply (client during business hours).

My Mac is where I both work and play. How I deal with e-mail depends on the context of my activity. Growl used to enable me -- at a glance -- to see what mail came in to which account. I still have that capacity with XUL notifications in SeaMonkey now, but only if I'm on Desktop 2. When I'm programming or whatever on a different desktop, I have to go check all the inboxes for new mail to determine whether it needs to be dealt with immediately.

For me, that's a big waste of time. I deal with several hundred messages per day and mail is constantly coming into one or more accounts.

Cheers,

trane
--
// Trane Francks    tr...@gol.com    Tokyo, Japan