Geoff Welsh wrote:
Daniel wrote:
MCBastos wrote:
Interviewed by CNN on 05/10/2013 19:19, Ray Davison told the world:
ss wrote:
Hello all, My question today is, how can I get SM 2.21 go to my
sub-folders to collect mail on web based accounts? e.g. in yahoo I
have
eight message filters which do not stay in the in-box, they go
directly
to their respective folders at yahoo.com. What are the settings for
having sm check the filters to import the messages or is there a
setting
change at yahoo.com I need to make?

I assume you want to bring mail from Yahoo to SM ao that it resides on
your HDD. If so, just get rid of the filters in Yahoo, create a Yahoo
account in SM, and let SM filter them.

Or else use IMAP, which reproduces locally the server's folder
structure. In fact, Yahoo does not give POP access for free accounts,
but it does give IMAP (although they claim it's "unsupported" for
desktop clients; they say it's "just for phones and tablets"). Although
I find their IMAP behaves slightly oddly.

In advising the OP to download their Yahoo messages and then do the
filtering in SeaMonkey, have you tried it??

I, sort of, recall reading somewhere here-abouts, that filters are not
working, for some reason, and, by-the-by, last night I set up two new
filters on my Usenet account but, tonight, they are not doing anything.

I can't think of how filters could even work in News accounts only Mail.
   e.g, you can't "delete" posts or mark them "Junk" like you can with
messages so a filter couldn't do that either.

Can you give some examples?

GW
Hmmm . . . I use filters on News groups, and they work just fine. Note that my setting is View>Threads>Threads With Unread, so for postings that I find to be abusive, my filter (based on the sender) is set to "Mark As Read" and they don't show up. And yes, Delete is another choice and it works when tested, although I don't actually use it.

True, some Mail settings like Junk aren't available for News groups.

HTH.

Larry S.