On 5/24/2014 3:30 PM, Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
> Jay O'Brien wrote:
>
>> I've been with SeaMonkey since the Netscape days, and I have
>> installed it in many computers over the years. Due to my personal
>> memory problems, I can't remember the details.
>>
>> I have a new Win 7 Pro SP1 64 bit computer into which I want to
>> install a clone of my present Win 7 Pro SP1 64 bit installation of
>> SeaMonkey 2.26. Once SeaMonkey is working the same in both computers,
>> I plan to use GoodSync to keep the mail files the same. I use
>> Goodsync now in that manner, except that the recipient computer runs
>> XP; the new Win 7 computer will take the place of the XP computer.
>>
>> I recall seeing a reference to on-line cloning instructions, but I
>> can't find it now.
>>
>> I suspect I should start by installing SeaMonkey 2.26 in the new
>> computer, but I will hold off until I get guidance from this
>> knowledgeable group. Help please?  Thanks.
>
> Since you have the same OS and the same version of SM on the two
> computers, here's a quick and easy way of doing it. I also assume you
> have installed SM on both computers and have the same plugins (Flash,
> Acrobat, etc.) on the two computers.
>
> Locate the folder C:\Users\YourWindowsName\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\ on
> both computers (your Windows username may be different, doesn't matter).
>
> 1) With SM closed, rename the one on the target computer to \OldMozilla
> or some other distinctive name of your choosing so SeaMonkey won't
> notice it.
>
> 2) With SM closed, copy the one on the source computer to the target
> computer so it's in the same directory as \OldMozilla. SeaMonkey will
> see and accept the new \Mozilla.
>
> (Note that if you need to copy to a CD as an intermediate step, you will
> have to change the read-only property of all files in the directory back
> to "no" after you copy from the CD to the target HDD).
>
> You're done.
>
> Once you're satisfied that all is well, you can delete \OldMozilla. If
> it doesn't work, delete the new \Mozilla and unrename \OldMozilla back
> to \Mozilla, which will leave you back where you started.
>
> You may have minor glitches if your Helper Applications list points to
> things that don't exist on the target computer, but that's easily fixed
> by installing the missing apps.

Paul,

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately that won't work directly for me, as
I just learned. I have all of my mail files on my D drive. What is in the
C:\Users\YourWindowsName\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\ folder are some 2010
empty files from when I installed SeaMonkey on the Win 7 computer and
before I set up the D drive. Each of my mail accounts has a folder there
with empty Inbox, Trash and msgFilterRules files.

Here's what I plan to try, your comments please?  First I will install
SeaMonkey 2.26 on the new computer. I don't know what I will tell it as
it installs, hopefully it will make sense as I go.

Then I will copy the files as you suggested, and I will duplicate my
D:\Mail folder on the new computer. Then I will go to the "View settings
for this account" entry for each of my email accounts on the new
computer and change the Server Settings > Message Storage Local Directory
entries to agree with the Message Storage Local directory on the working
computer.

Do you think this will work?

Jay