On 7/16/2014 9:07 PM, Justin Wood (Callek) wrote:
Hey Everyone,

Again I'm sorry for delays on beta's, and sorry for delays which caused
us to technically skip a gecko release last cycle.

But I wanted to give you all a followup, I'm getting much closer to
getting a beta out there now, and correcting dev versions from our
system, however it looks likely we won't have a release within a day or
two of Firefox this cycle.

I'm going to concentrate our effort on getting a new beta out the door
within a week of Firefox's final release, if for some reason I can't,
I'm planning on backing out my effort temporarily to ship another
"sec/stability release" based on teh last full seamonkey release.

That sec/stability work would delay our other work here by about a week,
but I don't want to leave everyone stranded with regards to security/etc
any longer than necessary.

If all goes well, I'm expecting to have a final release, based on the
current Firefox release out no later than 2-weeks after Firefox is shipped.

And if everything does go well, we can have yet another new beta after
that.

~Justin Wood (Callek)

Thank you for all you do for Seamonkey.
FWIW I could care less how often Seamonkey gets updated. Every 6 months or even more would be fine. The security updates don't bother me either since I think I have most of it dealt with in other ways.

What is important to me is that the limited volunteer resources get as much done for the project as possible in the limited time they have. I want to see bug fixes and features that keep SM the best browser out there. If frequent releases distract from that then who cares. It seems to me if you had half as many releases we would see more accomplished in the end over time since your not worrying about build schedules, release dates, beta testing etc.

Why does SM have to stay on such a fast release schedule? What was wrong with the slower schedule of yesteryear? Just because FF and TB do it does SM need to as well?