Mort wrote:

Hi,

Updating Avast inadvertently downloaded Google Chrome to my H.D.,
(running Windows XP, SP-3). Now, I cannot delete it. It does not show up
on the list of programs  in control panel's section on programs, yet it
is there with a H.D. search. Each time that I attempt to a delete it, I
get a message on screen that it cannot be deleted.

What exactly does the message say? File in use? Admin privileges needed?

If file in use, then use Task Manager to see if the process is still running; if so kill it and reattempt. If not, reboot and then reattempt.

If admin privileges needed, that's normal and if you're an admin it should proceed once you dismiss the prompt. If you're not an admin, log off the current user and login as admin.

Paul B. Gallagher