NoOp wrote:
On 09/03/2014 10:00 AM, W3BNR wrote:
On 9/3/2014 12:13 PM NoOp submitted the following:
On 08/31/2014 03:33 AM, Ed wrote:
On 8/30/2014 8:56 PM Mike C submitted the following:
Thee Chicago Wolf [MVP] wrote:
I had a very good experience with MozBackup last week.  My laptop got
very "sick" and sensing impending doom, I had the presence of mind to
run MozBackup and get the backup file off onto a thumb drive before the
Windows 7 OS became so corrupted that a restore from the original disks
became necessary (to a new hard drive). After 186 windows patches, I was
ready to install SeaMonkey.  Then I ran MozBackup and restored the
profile and all of my settings and emails.  They only other thing I had
to do was manually install my favorite extensions.  Good job MozBackup!

Allen

The tool hasn't been updated in 2+ years. Haven't used it for eons.

- Thee Chicago Wolf [MVP]

I also swear by MozBackup!
I'm using MozBackup-1.5.1-EN
Get it here: http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/

It don't believe it needs updating.

I;ve been using MozBackup 1.5.2b from the same place.
(In addition to backing up all data files daily and making a complete
system image monthly - Worked in data processing/large scale computers
for over 35 years.  Hard to explain loosing months of man-power due to
not backing up data to management)

With all that experience, why not just use rsync/grsync instead?

Well, I guess I could say because I don't want to.

Shrug... I guess that's as good as reason as any. For me it's just as
easy to copy & paste the entire profile over to a backup
partition/drive/device as it is to run MozBackup. Or just set up to use
rsync or grsync as a scheduled service. Note that you can use both on
Windows as well as linux.

Besides Windows for making the system image, I use PureSync which has
all the options I need and at times the sync option of PowerDesk.
It all depends on the what, how, and why I'm performing the backup.

I guess you could also ask why I waste any of this time when I could
install an external RAID drive or two.  Problem solved.  No operator
intervention required.

No operator intervention involved either using rsync once set up as a
scheduled service/task.

Now I'm kind of sorry I started this thread. I don't like image backups because they tend to restore my systems to their previous state-- That is, will all the accumulated registry garbage, accidently deleted dlls, failed patches, programs that didn't uninstall completely/correctly, etc. Instead, I choose to back up critical files, data, pictures, and such to a network server and periodically to DVD. This includes the MozBackup file. I also take good care of original installation media. Sometimes a clean install can be a blessing, it runs sweet! (possibly also due to my new SSD!) To those who want to do things differently, I say you just go for it.