On 06/18/2015 10:31 PM, Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
> Kevin L. Hill wrote:
>
>> I encountered a site today that may serve as one 'real world' example.
>> Mega.co.nz offers end-to-end encryption for data, claiming that all
>> encryption/decryption is done on the local computer, not by their
>> servers, and that they do not possess the keys needed to decrypt the
>> data.
>>
>> On Seamonkey:  Mega.co.nz gives me the following error:
>>
>> "Sorry, we were unable to initialize the browser's local storage, either
>> you're using an outdated browser or it's something from our side.
>>
>> If you think it's our fault, please report the issue back to us.
>>
>> Reason: localStorage is null
>> Browser: mozilla/5.0 (x11; linux x86_64; rv:36.0) gecko/20100101
>> firefox/36.0 seamonkey/2.33.1"
>>
>> More info on "local storage in the browser" is here:
>>
>> http://www.infoworld.com/article/2625216/web-browsers/html5-in-the-browser--local-data-storage.html
>>

>> The page loads perfectly in Firefox:  38.0.5
>
> Which page?
>
> I went to their home page and it loaded perfectly.
>
> I also clicked the link at bottom to learn more, and that loaded perfectly.
>
> Steps to reproduce?

Thank you Paul,

Start Seamonkey 2.33.1 in safe mode with addons disabled.
mega.co.nz

Error: "Sorry, we were unable to initialize the browser's local storage,
either you're using an outdated browser or it's something from our side.

If you think it's our fault, please report the issue back to us.

Reason: localStorage is null
Browser: mozilla/5.0 (x11; linux x86_64; rv:36.0) gecko/20100101
firefox/36.0 seamonkey/2.33.1"

The current version of Firefox (38.0.5) loads the page without error.

Seamonkey 2.38a1 loads the page perfectly (See Rinaldi's post on 6/18)
so I assume that this is part of current development effort.

I contacted Mega (since they asked so nicely in the error message) and
in their reply, they asked me to "...check whether SeaMonkey disables
localStorage by default? Open the JavaScript console and type

localStorage.length

If you get 0 as a result, it is enabled, and the bug is on our side.

If you get an error, it is disabled, an the error is with SeaMonkey.

Thanks also for your w3.org validator link, we will fix those errors soon."

Using Tools - Web Development - Error Console, I typed in
localStorage.length and I get an error message "TypeError: localStorage
is null" exactly as Mega reports in their error message.

Thanks again for your help.