On 29/10/19 04:00, Mike C wrote:
Just curious...
Why does
Mozilla Seamonkey do this.
And
Mozella Firefox doesn't

I thought Both SM and FF were both Mozilla.

The question should be "Why does Google do this? I thought Both SM and FF were both Mozilla."

Presumably G's servers look at the UA string and try to classify it as one of their known browsers (latest Firefox, latest Firefox ESR, whatever version of Chrome -- no doubt they have extensive customisations for Chrome versions, etc) and anything else gets the weird page designed for some unknown browser, which they assume to be on a phone based on stats. The page is broken as served, so can't be corrected by blocking client-side code, although overriding styles works until they change the page again.

Among the ironies of this is that nowadays almost all browsers would adequately render a single conservative page design. What they might have more trouble with is leading edge JavaScript spyware, which of course is G's stock-in-trade.

/df

--
London
UK