On Mon, Jul 19, 2004 at 05:02:42PM +0200, Zenon Panoussis wrote:

> Toad wrote:
>
> >Strange. What is your logLevel ?
>
> Well, that's relative. The log level is set to debug, but the
> log file is a FIFO, where a simple perl script greps for URIs
> and dumps the rest. My idea was to feed those URIs to mnogosearch
> and create a non-anonymous search engine fo freenet.

Okay, this is your basic problem. I don't even use logLevel=debug any
more. It produces crazy amounts of data, uses a lot of CPU, and the
system cannot keep up. I doubt that feeding it through a FIFO will make
that much difference - much of it is probably the generation side (as
well as the syscalls).

I recommend you set the following:
logLevelDetail=freenet.client:debug

That should catch all the URIs, probably. You don't need debug log level
on everything else, and having it will really mess stuff up.

> >Won't make much difference. The setting you want is maximumThreads.
>
> I took them down from 120 to 60, saw hardly any difference at all.
>
> >>I also set diagnosticsPath=/dev/null to stop the constant
> >>writing on disk (is there a better way to say "disable stats,
> >>I don't need them"?) and that didn't help much either.
>
> >You do. The node uses them for estimating load. My long-lived unstable
> >node's stats dir is 3MB, as is my long-lived stable node's stats dir.
> >It's not a problem.
>
> It's not the size of the stats on disk I want to avoid, but the
> extra I/O that comes from keeping them.

Which is minimal, if the OS has enough memory to batch the writes into
one medium sized write every 30 seconds.

> >Set maximumThreads=60 (remove the leading %), logLevel=error, and
> >doCPULoad=true (is your node pegged on CPU, or just on I/O? what's the
> >idle % typically?).
>
> OK, I'll give it one more try to see if it's the logging that
> does it. Of course, the logging is required for what I want
> to do, so I don't know how to get around the problem, if that's
> where it is.
>
> The normal load of the machine is around 0.10 an I/O is its
> big problem in general.

I have seen similar problems when running logLevel=debug on my own nodes.
The solution is to set logLevel=error and logLevelDetails for the
individual subsystems you want to monitor.