From: "f...@kokkinizita.net" <f...@kokkinizita.net>
To: Surround sound list <sursound@music.vt.edu>
Sent: Tue, November 2, 2010 3:51:00 PM
Subject: [Sursound] Help !! -- For AMB-decoding theory freaks only

Hello all,

For most of the day and evening I've been trying to find the error
in some of the code I use to compute AMB decoders and which has been
updated and extended recently. It fails on one of the test cases.

If

- I compute a systematic 3rd order decoder for a regular icosahedron,
  using the standard pseudo-inverse method,
- apply the per-order rE gain factors  which AFAIK are 1.0, 0.862,
  0.612, 0.305,
- then it should produce a uniform rE of 0.862.

But it doesn't. I get a uniform rE of around 0.8 only if the 3rd order
gain is decreased to something like 0.1 relative to the zero order one.

The same test for 2nd order on a regular dodecahedron works perfectly,
giving a uniform rE of 0.775. As does 3rd order horizontal on an octagon
with rE = 0.924.

I've gone through the code at least 10 times and can't find any error.
Is there something wrong with my assumption that this should work ?

TIA, Ciao,

--
FA

There are three of them, and Alleline.