I'm still not sure what is bothering me about this but I _think_ it's something to do with the precise nature of the relationship between the symmetries in the icosahedron and the symmetries in the 3rd order spherical harmonics. The pictures you posted look like a spatial aliasing problem but, as you say, the array does seem to have a reasonable degree of oversampling, so...

Trouble is I'm so tied up with teaching and other things at present that I can't properly get my head round it.

   Dave