On 01/23/2011 03:48 PM, Eero Aro wrote:

In my opinion, you can skip the on-going discussion about UHJ, it's more or
less academic. UHJ was developed in the 1980's, at the time when vinyl LP
and FM radio were the most important carriers. UHJ isn't needed anymore.

i beg to differ. it is still very useful. for a few months now, i have done all my client's productions in HOA, even if they weren't interested in any other target format than stereo. so i mix in a way that the UHJ i deliver to them sounds great and the surround experience doesn't totally suck. which works quite well.

for my own pet projects, i mix so that surround sounds great and 5.0 and UHJ folddowns don't suck.

it's a really nice stepping stone for ambisonics, and surprisingly little pain to work with once you've gotten used to its quirks. and it gives you the opportunity to work with a stereo stage that's considerably wider than the speaker angle, without ad-hoc tricks.

regards,

jörn

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier
Lortzingstr. 11, 45128 Essen, Tel. +49 177 7937487

Meister für Veranstaltungstechnik (Bühne/Studio), Elektrofachkraft
Audio and event engineer - Ambisonic surround recordings

http://stackingdwarves.net