Phew! We have had this discussion before. Should dig the threads from
Sursound archives. Never mind, here we go:

Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:

i beg to differ. it is still very useful.
> i have done all my client's productions in HOA, even if they weren't interested
> in any other target format than stereo.

I did the same in the beginning of the nineties. You can read what the results
were in here:
http://members.cox.net/surround/uhjdisc/uhjhtm.htm#Radio

In our small country the listening numbers for a radio play were about
60.000 - 80.000 per transmission.

79.980 of the listeners were listening to the UHJ radio play with two speakers
in stereo. 20 of them were listening to it decoded into surround listening.
These 20 people were my friends and I needed to make them a phonecall
to remind them to put the decoding on. As well I could have sent all of them
a cassette copy!

The 79.980 were not eager to buy an Ambisonic decoder to be able to
hear what was buried in the encoding. They were happy with the stereo.
And - at that time there _were_ Ambisonic decoders available. Not in the high
street shop, but it was possible to get one.

(Ordinary) people use the AV amplifier which they already have in their
livingroom. The amplifier has Dolby Digital and DTS. People are not going
to buy an Ambisonic decoder.

The late Mark Decker at the BBC didn't raise a citizen movement either,
and he really did _a lot_ of programmes in UHJ.

I agree that UHJ can be useful for certain single productions, but when
somebody is here on the list asking about Ambisonic decoding, in my
opinion you should give realistic answers.

it's a really nice stepping stone for ambisonics, and surprisingly
little pain to work with once you've gotten used to its quirks.

You tell me.

I wish luck in your efforts.

Eero