Hi Robert,

On 24.01.2011, at 06:26, Robert Greene wrote:
> Does anyone really like the sound of the human voice
> from four inches away for example?

Actually that's quite a distance ;-)

Really, spot miking can come in handy. Sometimes you want to capture an
intimacy that can only be had at close distance, e.g. with the flutes on my
Zen-album (http://flow.blumlein.net/010_gb.html) I wanted to preserve the very
soft blowing sounds. I even used the sound of breathing / the air with nearly
no tone to bridge separate tracks. Almost inaudible yet more substantial than
the dither-noise (I picked for this release).

> Audio people act as if the master were the word of God.
> But the master is in fact usually lousy.

With sonophiles, people who take sound seriously, the high resolution master is
fine and certainly better than most versions that can be released on
traditional carriers.

Regards,

Andrew