On 7/11/2011 8:30 AM, Stefan Schreiber wrote:

However, the "12+ channel" audio system (for Ambisonics?) is a caricature, at best. 8 horizontal speakers would be enough for Ambisonics 3rd order, for home purposes. 1st order can be reproduced with 4 speakers, you really won't need more than 6. Everybody knows this... :-)

In this sense, your posting was polemic, because you also knew this. Right?

Best regards,

Stefan

P.S.: Unless we speak about "full sphere 3D", and Ambisonics would need more speakers. However, the thead topic says "360 degree sound". Therefore, 360º horizontal suround sound and "3D sound" has been mixed up in the following postings...

Prof. Choueiri's solution requires special speakers and a controlled environment, in my understanding. I remain sceptical if the peformance of this system will come close to a real surround system, which would have to been tested in an objective way. (I have said that my critic doesn't refer to Ambiophonics, which is not an "extreme XTC for everything" solution. Maybe I am also polemic... :-) )
Right. I was speaking of 360 horizontal. Just to be clear, how many speakers are necessary at minimum for a "full sphere 3D" system? I've been told that a double twisted hex (3 in front, 3 in back at ear level, and 3 in front, 3 in back up high twisted 90 degrees from the ear level set) would do it for a total of 12 speakers. Or would you need 18 speakers. I've never seen a picture of what a full 3d sphere layout looks like.

Bearcat