Hi everyone,

I've been lurking for only a day, but Sampo's note gives me the courage to go
ahead and ask the first question I was hoping this group might help me answer.

I am interested in experimenting with periphonic sound synthesis using
Ambisonics and (likely) Matlab, for research purposes. I've got a grasp on the
software side of things to do this, and already can pipe multichannel sounds
generated in Matlab to a standard 5.1 receiver.

Now I would like to construct a higher-order sound system, ideally with
consumer-level (and consumer-priced) components. I don't need a big dynamic
range, high power, or the best sound fidelity possible, I just need a working
prototype. This is the part I have found very little information on in my
research…

My understanding is that 8 channels is the minimum needed for stable 3-D
Ambisonics (rather than planar surround). From my Mac, I can easily output up
to 8 channels of lossless PCM audio over HDMI or optical Toslink. So it seems
like it should be possible, in principle, to assemble a budget system -- the
question is what kind of affordable receiver/amp would be appropriate?

The home cinema/gaming market offers several 7.1 systems these days, but I
imagine the subwoofer channel would likely be band-limited with different
amplifier circuitry than the other channels.  There are also some 9.2 receivers
available. I'm not clear how to input more than 8 channels to these receivers,
given that they all take HDMI/Toslink inputs, Dolby TrueHD etc are all 7.1, as
far as I know, and they don't normally have discrete analog inputs. So I'm not
sure if an 8-channel digital input would imply one channel is destined for a
subwoofer as expected for a 7.1 system. And, otherwise, if these systems do
funky in-receiver processing to generate 9.2 sound from 8 input channels, then
that certainly seems incompatible with Ambisonics…

Are any of these receivers an option? Any other suggestions? Of course, I don't
care about the video switching capabilities, etc., the multiplexed digital
input just needs to be decoded and sent to 8+ speakers somehow.

Otherwise, if there's a Firewire or USB solution, I'd be happy to hear more
about those as well.

Thanks in advance!

Sarang