On a mac it is very easy to create an aggregate audio device from several different units, even if you can't physically lock their clocks together - which is, of course, the ideal way to do it. You chose one of them as the master device which supplies the clock and OSX itself automatically handles any needed sample rate conversion. Ok, it's not ideal but it does mean it is possible to use several el cheapo USB soundcards together to make a multichannel output device.

         Dave