All of this arises in my view from two  simple things:
1 People in audio do not check things double blind
and
2 People in audio do not normalize things for frequency response
and do not do precision measurements of frequency response.

Point 1 is obvious. About point 2: Small shifts in frequency response
occur for a wide variety of reasons, cables among them. If the shifts
are indeed small, down near the 0.1 dB threshold(approximately), then the changes heard are not always of the overt tonal nature--brighter, more or less bass, nore or less midrange forward and so on--but are often of the nature of things like "transparency" and other poetic and imprecise audiophile words. So one could in fact end up hearing an improvement--or what could seem like an improvement--from changing cables, simply
because there was a microshift in frequency response.

No sensible person would pay a lot of money to get such a micro-shift in frequency response. But if one did not KNOW that that was what it was,
I suppose a certain kind of person might be inclined to pay a lot of
money for "increased transparency".  Words count. A trivial thing like
a tiny lift around 6k can be made nontrivial to some people by giving
it an impressive name, like transparency.

I have heard otherwise sensible people claim that transaparency is an independent thing, outside the realm of ordinary audio measurements and phenomena. This is of course nonsense. But it is a kind of nonsense that propagates all too readily among people who do not understand at all how
audio works but who have spent a lot of time listening to it.

Robert