Robert:

> Music of the ordinary sort is in front . . .

Yes it is!  Which is why Ambisonics makes *no* sense for the FRONT in  a
musical reproduction system.

However, it still makes great sense for the REST -- the sides, back and
UP-AND-DOWN "ambience" for listening to music.

This is why Robin Miller teamed up with Ralph Glasgal to produce the HSD 3D
 system -- Ambiophonics for the FRONT and first-order Ambisonics for the
REST  (with all apologies to Robin for the actual, patented, details, which I
might  have gotten wrong, of how he accomplished this feat.)

_http://www.filmaker.com/surround.htm_
(http://www.filmaker.com/surround.htm)

It sounds AMAZING (and only uses 6-channels for distribution) . . . but,
alas, also needs people to use a Soundfield (or equivalent) microphone to
capture the *rest* along with whatever is being used to capture the "music" in
 the front and to change their work-flow accordingly.

As far as using the Soundfield microphone as a "stereo" mic, my favorite is
 still Peter Moore's Cowboy Junkies 1988 The Trinity Session  (particularly
the opening track "Mining for Gold," which so hauntingly captures  the
sounds of the stone church in which it was recorded) -- are there other
*stereo* recordings that also show-off this capability of the microphone?

_http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Trinity_Session_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Trinity_Session)

Mark Stahlman
Brooklyn NY

In a message dated 3/31/2012 12:18:13 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,