At 14:33 31/03/2012, Paul Hodges wrote:
--On 31 March 2012 12:53 -0400 newme...@aol.com wrote:

Music of the ordinary sort is in front . . .

Yes it is!  Which is why Ambisonics makes *no* sense for the FRONT in  a
musical reproduction system.

"Music of the ordinary sort" being the music that's in front, I guess, making that a tautology.

I frequently listen to, and record, music in churches (commonly with an organ behind or to one side), and concerts with music surrounding the audience in the round (in places as varied as Walthamstow Town Hall, The Union Chapel Islington, and the Royal Festival Hall).

I shall never buy into the concept that music should come only from the front. One of the most exciting recordings I have is the Tallis Scholars' later version of the Allegri Miserere, which is available as a 5.1 high definition download. The distant choir in the rear is magical. Of course, the performance is also magical, but the physical disposition of the performers makes it feel much more like a live event to me. All to whom I have played this have also been impressed.

I dont think this particular recording was made with the SF mic, but my point is that there is much music that benefits from direct sound in the rear. I have many Tacet.de recordings that use the rear channels for direct sound, also to great musical effect in my opinion. The same repertoire is available in 2-channel stereo if that is the listener's preference, so why not do something different?

David