--On 31 March 2012 18:34 -0700 Robert Greene <gre...@math.ucla.edu> wrote:

Of course music exists that is  not in front. But the vast bulk of
concert music is not like that.

Sure; but what proportion of music are we happy to be unable to reproduce properly? My organ music (admittedly as much as 20% of my listening) was a trivial example - and it's only in combination with other things that it becomes spatially interesting, generally. You mentioned Gabrieli and Berlioz in a slightly dismissive manner; I would add to them people like Stockhausen and Earle Brown, a folk group moving among their audience, a hall full of schoolchildren bouncing their sounds off each other from different parts of the hall. Not all within the restricted form of "concert music", but music in the real world where we turn our heads and enjoy our whole environment.

Paul

--
Paul Hodges