On 1 Nov 2012, at 17:00, sursound-requ...@music.vt.edu wrote:

i am wondering if we cannot produce HRTFs the way the first produced spectacle lenses. one needs to look at the range of variations in HRTFs and what actually varies from person to person and produce a dozen or so hrtfs. people can just try them and stick with the one they like. a real time, streaming b-format to binaural programme into which the hrtf can be plugged in is all that will be needed. umashankar

That's a great idea, then you could buy +1.00 or -3.50 headphones to suit your ears. And it would give more work to audiologists! We could develop a
test soundtrack like the opticians' chart.

I have experience though with a soundwalk project in amsterdam where we just chose one sort of headphone (a compromise between sound quality, comfort, robustness & price) and mastered all the pieces for that type of headphone and MY ears seeing I was doing the mastering. Generally we get very good reactions to the spatial quality of the sound. The artists tend to use omnis placed in the ears (soundman, DPA 4060) for recording, or synthetically panned binaural (e.g. Logic) and this is often also mixed with "normal" panpotted stereo and other stereo recording techniques. I've also used some binaural decodes from soundfield mics but I've never been so happy about those.

see http://www.soundtrackcity.nl if you're interested.

best, Justin

Justin Bennett
i...@justinbennett.nl