On 16 May 2013, at 03:45, Eero Aro <eero....@dlc.fi> wrote:

> Ronald C.F. Antony wrote:
>> I would tend to differ. If BluRay & DVD-Audio were resounding
>> successes, then one could say: heck, just deliver binaural, stereo,
>> 5.1 etc. downmixes and not worry about distribution formats, these
>> disks have more storage capacity than we know to fill with an album
>> anyway.
>
> There is the word "commercial" in the thread subject.
>
> I don't think any commercial company would like to use their resources
> to produce different kinds of audio format tracks onto a disc just because
> it is possible to fill it up. That would increase the production costs but
> wouldn't bring too much more money in.
>
> If they'd like to do that, there would be also binaural tracks already now
> on every DVD you get from the shop.
>
> In my thinking BluRay and DVD-Audio are delivery mediums.
> Isn't DVD-Audio past and gone?

That's my point: physical media, for better or worse, is gone.

Someone made the point that as far as they are concerned Ambisonics is more of
production tool than a delivery format, because Ambisonic productions can be
downmixed to various delivery media formats.

My point is, physical media is gone. So while in the case of physical media,
one can easily (and without significant added cost) downmix an Ambisonic
production to 5.1, 7.1, stereo, and binaural, and still ship it on the same
media (provided one chooses Ambisonic production behind the scenes), that
doesn't hold true in the case of electronic delivery.

Once you enter electronic delivery, you'd either have spend a lot more
(expensive) bandwidth, and/or sell different versions of the same program
material, or *TA-DAH* you use B-format as a delivery format and push the
decision in what way to reproduce the material to the end user.

In other words, in a world in which physical, disc-based delivery dominates,
Ambisonics holds little value as a delivery Format, because current disk
formats have so much spare capacity that it's easy to just pre-decode all the
potentially interesting playback formats, and be done. One can keep Ambisonics
out of the home, and use it strictly as a production too.

However, once you enter the digital distribution, where you have billions of
downloads, and where user-side disk storage is limited (albeit getting
cheaper), that's when you have an economic interest in least redundant data
transmission and storage.

At this point, just about all the relevant (not talking niche players, but
Amazon, Apple, Google, Spottify, etc.) players in the digital music delivery
business are restricted to compressed stereo audio.

Ambisonic B-format or even UHJ-format delivery has an opening here, provided
the bickering stops and a concerted effort is made to lobby the players
involved, because for a reasonably moderate bandwidth overhead, these outfits
now can deliver a data file/stream that can be played back in stereo, binaural,
surround, and the decision can be pushed to the end-user environment.

A strong eco-system like iTunes could use B-format with proper software
changes, weaker eco systems could use UHJ, and simply have UHJ-capable players,
but in the absence of such, would still end up serving perfectly usable stereo
files.

So, I think, right now, with the demise of physical media, and still rather
limited bandwidth and end-user storage, there's a perfect sweet spot to
introduce UHJ/B-Format as a delivery for universally compatible audio
files/streams.

If one could get together a strong community effort, a few major acts providing
some key productions to get things off the ground, then that would be a
relaunch of it all.

Ronald