Marc Lavallée wrote:

Hi Étienne.

etienne deleflie <edelef...@gmail.com> a écrit :
... and then ambisonics is suddenly available to
masses of people, for very cheap, and with a consistent and quality
spatial experience (assuming the HRTF decoding can be done right).

Etienne

HRTF decoding is the problem here. for us, decoding ambisonics over
4 speakers is a better option, and streaming ambisonics from a phone
with blutooth to a classic decoder would work. With ambisonics, there's
many solutions.

--
Marc
For "us" means in this context: A club of enthusiasts and some academics.

It is not meant in a despective way or anything related, but this is exactly the problem: Why would we change anything if things already do work, and work in a wonderful and most flexible way anyway?

I beg to differe. Maybe people outside any insider group should be enabled to test if some available HRTF sets work for < them >?

This is what Hector's programs (or apps) are about.

Why would you stream for audio channels from a mobile to a decoder if you can integrate the decoder into the phone? (Come in Hector's apps.)

We are talking about a different use anyway. (At home and < mobile >.)

Best,

Stefan

P.S.: I am unaware if people already can change between different HRTF sets/data, but this would be a minor issue.