On 12/12/2013 12:40, Marc Lavallée wrote:
Hi Étienne.

etienne deleflie <edelef...@gmail.com> a écrit :
... and then ambisonics is suddenly available to
masses of people, for very cheap, and with a consistent and quality
spatial experience (assuming the HRTF decoding can be done right).

Etienne
HRTF decoding is the problem here. Finding a proper HRTF profile by
trying many (over of hundred) is not a solution; realistic binaural
reproduction works only when I listen to my own binaural recordings.
So, to enjoy "mass produced" ambisonics, I'd need personalized HRTF
measurements, a service that is not cheap and non-existent for a
majority of "HRTF challenged" people; for us, decoding ambisonics over
4 speakers is a better option,

It is undeniable that listening to FOA over a bunch of speakers will mess up your 'personallised (actual) HRTFs' considerably.. It is debatable whether putting mics in your own ears yields anything very useful. Arguing that HRTFs are like fingerprints misses the fact that the detailed individual patterns of fingerprints have no known function (apart from forensics) You just have to have 'some', for antislip or touch reasons. The analogy might turn out well, after all.

  and streaming ambisonics from a phone
with blutooth to a classic decoder would work. With ambisonics, there's
many solutions.

--
Marc