On 21/12/2013 03:40, David Worrall wrote:
I remember reading that, with exposure, human's audio-processing "hardware" can
adapt to/learn how to use a non-optimal HRTF, given a bit of time.
Does anyone have a reference for this?

http://128.102.119.100/publications/wenzel_1993_Localization_Head_Related.pdf

David
On 15/12/2013, at 5:57 PM, Marc Lavallée wrote:

Hi Dave.

I never tried head tracking while listening to stereo or Ambisonics (I'm
not that much of an "insider"). I'm optimistic about it, even with
virtual microphones; but I suspect that the contribution of head
tracking would then be limited to the interpretation of level
differences and transitions between the left and right.

What I miss is a realistic HRTF rendering experience (without head
tracking). For every HRTF I tried (from the KEMAR and LISTEN sets), as
with stereo, front sources were always "in the head", not at the front;
the front test tone was just louder then the rear one.

I don't know what are the right conditions to experience good HRTF based
localization (in a acousmatic context, without visual cues). I don't
know if using a personal (measured) HRTF would be better; I just assume
that it would be better because my own binaural recordings sound quite
right, but probably just for me (to be verified)  because I experienced
the real sound scenes while recording them.

--
Marc

Sun, 15 Dec 2013 13:50:09 +0000,