Marc Lavallée wrote:

Because the decoder in the phone, for a few unlucky people, might
not work as well as their home decoder.

I don't think I am so confused as I am sometimes read: The home decoder makes obviously a lot of sense if you want to listen to surround/Ambisonics at home. (The context issue, which you mention later...) You can't use the home decoder in the mobile case, without any further proof...

If you are listening to Ambisonics on your phone or tablet, it doesn't make a lot of sense to separate the source (audio files) and decoder stage at all. (Don't forget that the phone has to decode the MP3/AAC files, in any case! Do the same in the surround case, to have the same ease from the consumer perspective.)

A phone can be a source for
Ambisonics material, in the form of audio tracks in a video stream.
There's already ways to "air stream" video from a phone/tablet to a
television set, probably with 5.1 audio.

Yes, but this is not related to audio decoding in the phone. (The phone serves just the memory for AV files. Similar case: The camera photos you might watch/show on a TV, etc.)

We are talking about a different use anyway. (At home and < mobile
.)
Best,

Stefan

Same use (listening), different context (home vs anywhere), one better
than the other depending on your preference and your experience of
Ambisonics listening. It's undeniable that the Android app will provide
a new way to enjoy Ambisonics; exploring a sound field with virtual
stereo microphones should be impressive enough for many phone users.

--
Marc

It is not only "impressive", it would be for many the < only > way to listen to a soundfield, to get into touch with surround/3D audio etc.

(Considering that decoding of 5.1 surround or FOA/HOA to headphones is not anything new, we are talking about applications which reach people who are not experts/insiders. I said this.- I fully agree with you that there doesn't exist any iOS app yet... Any lurking Apple associates are warmly invited to fill up this obvious gap in their appstore. :-D )

Best,

Stefan

P.S.: Binaural decoding on a phone (to cheap "phone headphones") works for UHJ, 5.1, FOA, and even different Mpeg standards and HOA. At least in principle.