On Sat, Dec 21, 2013 at 11:24:45AM -0500, Marc Lavallée wrote:

> My comprehension of Ambisonics is that the listener's head (in the
> "sweetest spot") is exposed to one coherent approximation of a
> reproduced (or synthesized) sound field, not to a set of directional
> waves coming from the speakers (one directional wave per speaker).

The listener is exposed to to a set of directional waves coming
from the speakers (one directional wave per speaker) which combine
into an approximation of the original soundfield - there is no
conflict between the two views.

If the approximation is good enough, the way it is constructed
becomes irrelevant and you won't hear the speakers as separate
sources. A phantom (between the speakers) source will result
in superposition (i.e. interpolation) of HRIRs, even when
listening to a speaker system. If the same happens when binaural
signals are synthesized, that should not be a problem if it wasn't
one for the speakers system.

In other words, the fact that interpolating HRIRs will not
result in the exact HRIR for the intented direction should
be irrelevant IFF the signals that are combined would produce
a convincing soundfield when reproduced over speakers.

Ciao,

--
FA