On 21/12/2013 10:58, Stefan Schreiber wrote:
dw wrote:

On 12/12/2013 12:40, Marc Lavallée wrote:

Hi Étienne.

etienne deleflie <edelef...@gmail.com> a écrit :

... and then ambisonics is suddenly available to
masses of people, for very cheap, and with a consistent and quality
spatial experience (assuming the HRTF decoding can be done right).

Etienne

HRTF decoding is the problem here. Finding a proper HRTF profile by
trying many (over of hundred) is not a solution; realistic binaural
reproduction works only when I listen to my own binaural recordings.
So, to enjoy "mass produced" ambisonics, I'd need personalized HRTF
measurements, a service that is not cheap and non-existent for a
majority of "HRTF challenged" people; for us, decoding ambisonics over
4 speakers is a better option,

It is undeniable that listening to FOA over a bunch of speakers will mess up your 'personallised (actual) HRTFs' considerably..

???

Frankly, this is a messed up statement. You need HRTFs if listening via headphones.
When listening over speakers "decoding ambisonics over 4 speakers is a better option, ", you are listening via the the superposition of several of your natural HRTFs with varying amplitudes and delays. In the time domain this is not equivalent your HRIR for any real source. Interpolation between these several speaker-head IRs will occur at the sweet spot to give more or less correct ILD and ITD values, but outside of the sweet spot, and at high frequencies, the resulting IR is alien.

Just for clarification. (Nobody corrected this.)

The < undeniable > tag doesn't help a lot, BTW.
Superposition  of IRs is a fact of life.

Best,

Stefan Schreiber