On 10/14/2015 07:51 PM, Charles Veasey wrote:
Yes, those are too expensive given the spatial resolution I'd like. My
budget is ~$30-40k.

If the 8010s seem too weak, then maybe something like the Genelec 8030B or
Meyer MM-4XPD.

I have been unimpressed by the passive Meyer MM4s, plus the single wide-band speaker is costly to replace when it blows. Don't know the XPD.

I'd say go with either small Genelecs (8020 should fit the budget), or check out the Neumann KH120. Both come with a nice range of mounting options, which will help reduce the installation costs and make the system more flexible.

There is also a new line of triax Genelecs coming up, but I don't know if they make small ones (yet).

I've used the Neumanns for a very nice 40-channel setup:
https://stackingdwarves.net/public_stuff/linux_audio/icsa2011/neumann-fotos/6-rigging.jpg

The IEM Graz has used the Genelec 8020 to build their MAMBA mobile Ambisonics system that has delivered very well at EAA, AES, and ICSA conferences:
http://iem.kug.ac.at/darmstadt2014/international-summer-course-for-new-music-darmstadt-2014/mamba.html

The speaker management of the more expensive Genelecs is neat, but if you have the skills in-house to do room equalisation, you can save a lot of money by doing it the old-fashioned way.

Also, for the computer interface, I'm thinking about RME's HDSPe
RayDAT and M-32
DA / M-16 DA

I would strongly recommend a HDSP MADI in combination with a Directout Andiamo 2 DA, designed by the same guy who used to make the RME MADI gear. ADAT is not very reliable stuff, plus it requires the machines to be close together, 10m max unless you want to test your luck.

If you need a cheaper but less hi-end option, Ferrofish make a very useful 16 channel AD/DA that has MADI and ADAT I/O.

34 channels is always nasty....

And there is a lot to be said for four subs instead of two.

Maybe you should consider 28 tops and four subs, that way the conversion is more cost-effective.

All best,

Jörn

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier
Lortzingstr. 11, 45128 Essen, Tel. +49 177 7937487

Tonmeister VDT

http://stackingdwarves.net