At this stage, one has to wonder just how much need there really is for
matching HRTF's. I'm not so convinced these dys as I once was, at least if
headtracking is properly implemented,  the few "fixed" parameters are
matched (like inter-ear distances) and there are good visual cues as there
are in modern VR systems.

    Dave

On 25 January 2016 at 12:58, Steven Boardman <boardroomout...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> We can definitely re-learn/reprogram our perception of stimulus, as long
> as there are other cues to back it up.
> This has been proven via glasses that alter the orientation of the visual
> field. After a while the brain adapts, and presents this as normal.
> I think that once learn your brain can remember this too…
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perceptual_adaptation
>
> Indeed I have found this to be the true of different HRTFs too, using my
> visual panning cues to learn the HRTF.
> This is even easier with head tracked VR video.
>
> Steve
>
> On 25 Jan 2016, at 12:40, Chris <ch...@chriswoolf.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > Maybe a silly question...
> >
> > But how much work has been done on the self-consistency of HRTFs? I'm
> aware that ear-wax, colds, which way round I sleep, etc can affect the
> level and HF response of one ear to another. And clothing, haircuts etc
> must significantly change the acoustic signal round our heads.
> >
> > So are measured HRTFs consistent over time? Or do we re-calibrate
> ourselves on a continuous basis?
> >
> > If the latter is true, then I can see that a generic HRTF could work if
> we were given some method (and time for) calibration.
> >
> > Chris Woolf
> >
> > On 25-Jan-16 11:45, Bo-Erik Sandholm wrote:

As of 1st October 2012, I have retired from the University.

These are my own views and may or may not be shared by the University

Dave Malham
Honorary Fellow, Department of Music
The University of York
York YO10 5DD
UK

'Ambisonics - Component Imaging for Audio'