We can definitely re-learn/reprogram our perception of stimulus, as long as
there are other cues to back it up.
This has been proven via glasses that alter the orientation of the visual
field. After a while the brain adapts, and presents this as normal.
I think that once learn your brain can remember this too…

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perceptual_adaptation

Indeed I have found this to be the true of different HRTFs too, using my visual
panning cues to learn the HRTF.
This is even easier with head tracked VR video.

Steve