HI,

yes there are multiple works from many reearchers on spherical harmonic
expansion of HRTFs (Evans, Duraiswami, Dylan Menzies and others), Rozenn
Nicol’s is a very thorough one, and the last (probably) on the list are two
nice papers from Romigh and Brungart in IEEE’s Journal of Selected Topics on
Signal Processing: Spatial Audio issue (JSTSP, 9(5), August 2015).

I think the important facts are that in this way you get a nice continuous
representation of HRTFs, which you can interpolate anywhere smoothly and with
an interpolation that uses all your data points (measurements). You also get a
natural ambisonic binauralization operation, the binaural signal is simply the
product-and-sum of the HRTF coefficients with the HOA signals (in the frequency
domain, or convolutions equivalently in the time domain).
You need a lot of coefficients at high orders (~15) to capture all the spatial
variation of the HRTFs, but that is frequency dependent, at low frequencies the
few first orders are enough to capture the shape.

Regards,
Archontis