On Tue, Jan 26, 2016 at 10:05:07PM +0000, Politis Archontis wrote:

> yes that is correct. I think however that the virtual loudspeaker
> stage is unnecessary. It is equivalent if you expand the left and
> right HRTFs into spherical harmonics ...

True, but the problem with this is that it requires quite high
order at HF (which is where all the binaural magic happens).

But then you could say that any small set of virtual speakers
would be inaccurate as well as it can't capture the high order
dependency of the HRIR. This is true of course. The only reason
why it works is that it relies on amplitude or ambisonic panning
between the virtual speakers, just as reproduction via real
speakers does.

Ciao,

--
FA