HI Bo-Erik,

Sorry I wasn’t very clear on my comments about the HRTF order, Jörn covered it
much better!

You need very high orders if you want to preserve HRTFs as they are when you
measure them, and the order that you can expand them depends on how many points
you measure them around the head. For a typical measurement setup this days
with a resolution of ~5deg elevation and azimuth, that corresponds to an
effective ambisonic order of ~15, which is enough.
If you want to play a virtual source at a direction of some HRTF, you just need
to convolve them with the respective ones, and you can do that either by using
directly the measured (or modelled one) or do it in the ambisonic domain; this
is not a heavy operation, it’s just a few tens to a few hundreds
multiplications and additions per frequency band for all these orders. In any
case, for binaural panning and spatialisation, no need to discard any of that
information and lose accuracy. And I don’t think it’s just strictly about
distinguishing the direction between two closely spaced sounds, it’s about
delivering correct binaural cues in general, correct fluctuations of ITDs and
ILDs in complex sound scenes with many sounds including early reflections and
late reverberation, which are important for reverberation perception, apparent
source width and externalization.

When however you want to reproduce or binauralize a recorded sound scene, the
available orders are limited by the (physics of) the microphone array. In this
case no matter your HRTF resolution, it’s always going to be limited by the
order of the recording, blurring the binaural cues gradually at higher
frequencies. That may or may not be a problem depending on the application. One
kind of solution is given by parametric processing of the FOA/HOA signals (such
as HARPEX or DirAC), which restore somewhat the correct cues, by “de-blurring”
the directional components in the recording. That’s the field I am working on
too, and even though I think they are impressively effective, they need a lot
of care in implementation, and they have their own issues to address (that’s
why it’s a field of current research).

But regarding VR or AR applications or virtual monitoring of other multichannel
setups, where you want maximum sharpness (and where you can employ the full
HRTFs), I don’t think going through a FOA representation is a good solution, as
I find the blurring of the virtual sources to be very high compared to when
using directly the HRTFs (basically a point source is spread in space around
you with an almost cardioid or supercardioid shape). Another factor that is
overlooked sometimes is that the same blurring affects the sense of
reverberation and externalisation, as it “correlates” more than necessary the
reverberant sound at the two ears..

Best regards,
Archontis Politis

On 28 Jan 2016, at 23:12, Bo-Erik Sandholm